We have all been encouraged to consider upgrading our homes recently, especially since it became a place of relaxation as well as work for many of us. But how can we separate our surroundings distinctively from room to room? Lighting has a huge impact on helping our minds differentiate between settings, even if it is within your own home.
Here are our top 5 tips on how to achieve the right mood for you, at the right time in your rooms.
1. Start with a plan
Just like any interior or decorative project you might work on, a plan is crucial to success and saving yourself time and money in the long-term. Each room will have different planning considerations. Afterall, even your dining room might vary from being a romantic restaurant to a vibrant party scene. Here are the key questions to ask yourself:
- What will you be using the space for?
- What time of the day do you use it most?
- Do you get much natural light in?
- Are there any architectural barriers to consider?
- What style and atmosphere are you going for?
If you are considering a makeover in your kitchen for example, you will want to align your lighting to your overall layout. I.e. where will you be cooking? Will you need extra lighting near the window, or less because a south-facing window already provides enough light into the space?
2. Create layers of ambience
You might want to use one room for a multitude of activities: working from home, relaxing in the evenings, or even exercising during the day. If so, there are wondrous ways to create different ambiences with lighting just by layering it throughout the room.
Make it feel larger with a higher ceiling and wall lights. Or make it seem cosier and warm with hanging pendant chandeliers to create the illusion of height and room segmentation. Where you situate lighting can help you maximise the space for the activity you’ll be using it for.
3. Consider the bulb/light type
If you read our previous blog on energy efficient lighting designs, you’ll have a good idea of what type of bulb you should choose for your wall lights, desk lights or even chandeliers.
If not, then it’s time to consider giving your bulbs more thought! Here are the specifications that will help you decide:
- Watts: how bright do you want your space to be?
- Colour temperature: what atmosphere do you want to achieve? The lower the temperature, the dimmer the light (perfect for candlelight ambience and cosiness). The higher the temperature, the brighter it is for an awakening blue sky effect (ideal for working or enhancing concentration).
- Energy efficiency: you may want to save energy with eco-friendly bulbs, especially when it comes to frequently used lights (read all about it in our latest blog).
For example, when it comes to your home office, LED lights are the perfect energy-saving option for desks and bedside tables due to the fact that LED lights last longer than any other traditional lights.
Did you know a 50,000 hours rated LED can last:
- 50 times longer than a typical Incandescent bulb
- 20 to 25 times longer than a typical Halogen bulb
- 8 to 10 times longer than a typical compact fluorescent lamp!
4. Choose what you want to highlight
With multiple options in every room, don’t forget that lighting can help you bring attention to your home’s best features. Is there an artistic centrepiece you love? A chair you want people’s eyes drawn to? Or even a table you want people to sit down at? Maybe you wish to create a makeup room with bright lighting. All these can be achieved by providing some spotlight.
For example, trying adding wall lights to symmetrically frame an elevated mantelpiece. Or try a dangling pendant chandelier above your favourite ornament and see the difference it makes to your visual attention.
5. Is it practical?
You might choose the most energy efficient bulb, luxurious dining table chandelier or stylishly fitting wall lights. However, at the end of the day, each of your lights should be practical. They should serve purpose, as well as aesthetic pleasure to your home. Stay on track to choosing lighting that will help enlighten your home in the right places, at the right time.
Need some inspiration?
Visit our extensive chandelier collection where you can browse through hundreds of luxurious and designer lighting products from traditional and modern crystal chandeliers to designer table and floor lamps.
Need help choosing a product or creating your own bespoke lighting? Call us today on 0131 226 2255 to have a chat with one of our friendly and professional lighting advisers.
Alternatively, you can email us directly at connect@luxurylightingboutique com or stop by our shop for a face-to-face discussion of all your requirements.